London is today one of the world’s leading business, financial and cultural centres, and its influence in politics, education, entertainment, media, fashion and the arts all contribute to its status as one of the top major global cities.
London is the most populous city within city limits in the European Union with an official population of 7.6 milllion (as of 2006) and has a metropolitan area population of between 12 and 14 million people. Its population is very cosmopolitan, drawing from a wide range of peoples, cultures and religions, speaking over 300 different languages. London is an international transport hub, with five international airports and a large port. It serves as the largest aviation hub in the world, and its main airport, the multi terminal Heathrow, carries more international passengers than any other airport in the world.
London is a major tourist destination, with four world heritage sites and numerous iconic landmarks such as Houses of Parliament, Tower Bridge, the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace and the London Eye amongst its many attractions, along with famous institutions such as the British Museum and the National Gallery.
- If you are not a British Citizen or a citizen of one the European Economic Area (EEA) countries, you may need an entry clearance before you travel to the UK.
- To see whether you need a visa to travel into the UK please click here
Help finding your way around:
- To help you find your way around London – visit the London Route Planner
- To help see what there is to do near London’s underground stations visit the TubeGuru
- For an up to date 5 day forcast visit BBC Weather, or see the average weather conditions for London, UK.
Plugs and voltage
- For London the plug has three rectangular prongs that form a triangle. British Standard BS 1363 requires use of a three-wire grounded and fused plug for all connections to the power mains (including class II, two-wire appliances). British power outlets incorporate shutters on line and neutral contacts to prevent someone from pushing a foreign object into the socket.
- 230v, 50Hz
If you want anymore information regading travelling to London or the UK please contact Gareth Hamer, Senior Events Organiser at email@example.com, or call Gareth on +44 (0) 7017 4056.